As NARS turns fifteen this year, the brand’s commitment to creating products that defy convention remains unwavering. The NARS woman has never been content to fade into the background, and this summer is no exception. I have been wearing NARS pretty much since it’s inception and many of the items are staples in my makeup bag. The shadows have so much pigment, I just adore those, and you all know how I feel about the Multiple. This Summer 2009 collection is very beachy indeed.
Whether your vision of perfect summer conjures up images of Morocco’s kaleidoscopic bazaars, the pristine Art Deco structures of Ocean Drive or the endless white sand beaches and cerulean waters of a Caribbean island, this season’s vivid yet versatile color palette is the perfect complement.
“The look for the Summer 2009 collection is sophisticated, but colorful,” says François Nars, Founder and Creative Director of NARS Cosmetics.
- Irresistiblement Bronzing Powder- $30 Nothing evokes the feeling of summertime quite like bronzed skin. The newest shade, a rich golden terracotta, offers a flattering faux glow when dusted across the areas of the face where the actual sun would hit.
- Scorching Sun Duo Eyeshadow- $32 The latest eyeshadow duo, a glazed apricot and radiant orange, is designed “to imitate the effect of the burning sun,” according to Nars. The sun-drenched colors allow for surprising wearability. “The colors are captivating on very fair skin like Guinevere’s [van Seenus, the face of the campaign], and they look fantastic on a deeper complexion.”
- Tropic Single Eyeshadow- $22 “The tropics are always inspiring for me,” says Nars. “I live part of my life in Tahiti and the Polynesian Islands and there is so much incredible blue there.” This lush, silver-flecked teal is a precise image of the ocean’s reflective, rolling waves.
- Falbala Lipstick- $24 On the lips, this high-shine bronzy rose lipstick (named after a character in Astrix, the classic French comic strip) has a sweet, insouciant quality about it.
- Outsider Lipstick- $24 This is definitely not your grandmother’s coral. The deeper, glistening variety is a modern take on a time-honored classic—a coral that veers a bit out of bounds.
- Belize Lip Gloss- $24 This classic semi-sheer, non-tacky formula is now available in a new, infinitely wearable shade. The pale pink sprinkled with specks of gold simulates the color of a Central American sunset and gives nude lips a sultry boost.
- Tonga Lipliner Pencil- $20 A creamy, long-wearing lip pencil in a shade of pink amber plays dual roles. Use it traditionally, to outline lips and prevent lipstick from feathering; or color the entire lip with the moisture-rich pencil and top with the new lipgloss in Belize for a sexy shade of rosy nude.
- Adelita Nail Polish- $16 The image of Adelita, a term for a woman soldier made popular by a folk song during the Mexican Revolution, is one of feminine strength. This shimmering pearlescent shade of pink, is simultaneously sweet and saucy, the ideal embodiment of its namesake.
NARS Summer 2009 Makeup Collection is currently available online at NarsCosmetics.com.